Building a chicken coop seemed to take forever. But in reality, actual building time was short. It ended up taking a couple of weeks because LL works out-of-town so much. I am thankful he took his precious little free time to build my small yet fine coop.
He first had to clear the area we wanted the new coop placed.
We used recycled wood and other materials when ever we could. But we did have to use more new material than we hoped. Makes the coop more costly.
But I think we did o.k. staying with in budget. I have looked at many chicken coop sites on the internet. I know how expensive coops can be if you want it in your back yard and not be too ugly. I actually cared less about how it looked and more about how it was build and set up.
I needed the run/yard covered with chicken wire. After losing a couple of chickens last year from a predator…..probably a hawk, I just could not risk losing the new girls like that again. At least not if I could help it. But we did not want the run very high. So another demand of mine is that I could collect eggs and clean coop without actually having to go inside the run.
The feeder will actually be kept outside. We need to rain proof a bit of the run before I put it outside. LL is also going to add another perch. I have a couple of ideas for signs on the coop and perhaps a flower box under the window. Besides those few things, the coop is done, and I already have happy hens.
I think we could have saved even more money by using some of the old coop and run for materials. But we are giving the old coop and run to Kane and Lisa. They want to try have 3 hens out at their little country home. We didn’t want them investing in building a new coop until they try out having chickens for a while, to make sure they really want them.